- Pull Over and Call Law Enforcement: Get to a safe place off the road to pull over. Make sure you and any passengers in your car aren’t injured and then call the police. They can assist you and you can tell them the details of what happened. DO NOT try to chase the person who hit you. You could end up putting yourself in an even more dangerous situation.
- Record Details: Write down everything you know about the accident. Record the color and make of the vehicle, and the license plate number if you were able to catch it. Take note of your location and the time it happened. Also, be sure to take pictures of the damage.
- Seek Out any Witnesses: People who saw the accident can be very helpful in identifying what happened and who hit you. Try to get as much information as possible, especially the details about the vehicle that hit you. Be sure to ask them what they saw and take down their name and number if possible – you, the police or your insurance company may need to contact them later.
- Ask for a police report: The responding officer can let you know how to obtain a copy of the police report following the incident. This could be extremely important in getting the details of the accident for your claim.
- Contact your insurance company: Your insurance needs to know what happened immediately so you can file a claim. With Verti, you can tap on the panic button right from the scene to get connected to a claims advisor or someone who can help you 24/7. You don’t even need to be logged into the app! If the accident occurs during the day, don’t forget your Personal Advisor is also just a tap away and is ready to assist you. They can let you know what to do next and how your policy can protect you.
The number of hit and run accidents has increased in the past year across the country, so it’s important to take the right steps in order to make sure you’re financially protected, even though you don’t have the other driver’s information. Have you ever been involved in a hit and run? Share your experience with us on Facebook or Twitter.
You Could Save Hundreds on Your Car Insurance
Pay less for car insurance in PA & get dedicated 1-on-1 support. Introducing Verti.