1 (267) 930-2140
We hope you're staying safe. Verti is here for you during COVID-19.   Learn More

Hopefully this never happens to you. Imagine waking up one morning to find out the unthinkable has happened. Someone has broken into your car. Then you realize, not only do you have to deal with broken door handles and glass all over the place, but there is actually stuff missing. What do you do next? Who do you call? Which insurance covers this? Take a deep breath; this blog post has you covered.

  1. Document the scene and take note of everything missing
    Not only will this help you out with your police report but also with filing an insurance claim as you’ll know exactly what the damage is and if anything was taken.
    Side note, if you realize that your wallet or any other items with personal information are missing, call your bank to freeze your accounts AND place a fraud alert on your credit record by calling one of the three bureaus: Equifax, Experian, and Transunion. You only have to call one, as the bureaus notify each other of any changes.
  2. Call the Police
    More than likely your insurance company will need a police report to file a claim for a break in. When filing your police report you’ll need to have your driver’s license, vehicle registration, car insurance ID card, pictures of the damage, and a list of missing items.
  3. Who ya gonna call?
    Here comes the tricky part; which insurance company do you call? Your car insurance company or your Homeowners/Renters insurance company? Well, it depends on your coverage.Typically, any stolen items (laptops, wallets, etc.) are covered by your Homeowners/Renters Insurance as they are considered personal property. However, if you have important items that live in your car such as tools, you may want to consider adding an endorsement on your car insurance policy. That way in the event of a break in if they are swiped; you’ll be covered.As for the actual damage to your car, that would fall under the comprehensive coverage of your car insurance policy. That means smashed windows, pried doors, and any other damage to your car caused by a break in or vandalism can be covered, but keep in mind that while it may be covered, there will be a deductible. Also your car insurance will usually cover your transportation costs while your vehicle is out for repairs. As always, check with your insurance company to understand exactly what your policy covers.

Do you have Verti for your auto insurance? Give your Personal Advisor a call – they’ll be happy to walk you through the ins and out of your policy.

You Could Save Hundreds on Your Car Insurance

Pay less for car insurance in PA & get dedicated 1-on-1 support. Introducing Verti.


Thanks for checking us out!

We aren’t quoting in your zip code at this time, so come back in the future to see what’s new.