With the Pittsburgh and Philadelphia both having playoff football games this weekend, we predict a tailgate may be in some of your futures. We’ve compiled some of our favorite tips to help crown you the king or queen of the tailgate!
- Designate a Driver – Drinking is expected at tailgates, but drunk driving shouldn’t even cross your mind. Before you start the festivities, designate a sober driver to get your team home safe. Make sure to include plenty of non-alcoholic drinks for all your party guests, and encourage everyone to stay hydrated from the pre to the post game.
- Grill Safety – Keep you and the other tailgaters safe by making sure that all gas hoses and lighting fixtures are properly secured. If you’re using a gas grill – do not turn it on with the top closed, as this is a common mistake that can often have dangerous repercussions. Since we’re on the topic, let’s talk about food safety for a second too. Hamburgers, chicken, and hot dogs are all a tailgating staple. Which is why it’s important to make sure that all raw meat is packed, stored and cooked properly.
- Keep a fire extinguisher and a first aid kit on hand – Whether a newbie or a veteran, it’s best to be prepared for the worst. Even if you may not need it another tailgater might, so keep it close and handy. Same goes for the first aid kit, because you never know when a friendly game of toss around the football will turn into a league worthy event with league worthy injuries – or someone may wind up with a blister.
- Clean up after yourself, correctly – Not only is cleaning up your tailgating spot the right thing to do, but it’s the safest. Mixing trash with hot grilling coals could lead to major accidents, especially in packed cars. While no one wants to cut down on the fun time, leave room in your tailgating schedule for proper clean up. That way you can make sure all trash is picked up and properly disposed of.
- Consider leaving the game early – Blasphemy, right? Hear us out, leaving the game early, especially when your team is in the lead is a great idea as it gives you the opportunity to safely navigate the parking lot and minimize your chance of fender benders. Found a scratch, bump, or dent on your car? Don’t freak out, you can easily make a claim through the Verti app no matter what time you’ll be leaving the stadium.
Most importantly don’t forget to root for your home team and have fun! Have any tailgating tips that you swear by? Leave us a comment on Facebook and let us know.