So, it happened. A car accident. When emotions are high and the adrenaline is pumping, it’s easy to forget what you may need to do to ensure a smooth claims process and everyone is taken care of. Take a deep breath, and remember the 5 points below.
- Attend to injured parties: This should go without saying, make sure everyone at the scene is OK. If anyone is injured, call 911 or have someone call for you. Most importantly, if you or someone else is injured, try not to move. Wait for the paramedics.
- Get to safety: Once you’ve checked that everyone is safe, move your vehicles to a safe space away from the main road if you are able to. This way you’ll be able to inspect the damage to the vehicles, and exchange information without further jeopardizing anyone at the scene.
- Call the police: Even if it’s a minor accident the police will be able to file a report that can help with your claims process.
- Exchange information and document the accident: Have internet access to get to the Verti App? Perfect, our app will walk you through exactly what our expert appraisal team needs to give you an estimate, all from the convenience of your phone. Not a Verti customer? Then you’ll need to get the following information from the other party to file your claim.
i. Their full name, address and contact information
ii. Their driver’s license number
iii. The license plate number of the vehicle involved
iv. Car insurance information of any other motorists involved
If you can, take pictures of the damage done to both the vehicles at the scene. Try to take pictures of exactly where the damage is, from multiple angles.
- Notify your insurer & the Department of Transportation: Once you have the above information, contact your insurer to start the claims process. If you’re a Verti customer we’ve made it easy for you to report your claim anytime, anywhere. We’ve ditched the insurance lingo and piles of paperwork in favor of a simple, question and answer format that gets us what we need to get you back on the road. Depending on the type of accident, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania requires you to file a “Drivers accident report” with the Department of Transportation within 5 days of the accident. For more information check the Pennsylvania DOT website.
You Could Save Hundreds on Your Car Insurance
Pay less for car insurance in PA & get dedicated 1-on-1 support. Introducing Verti.